Coming Up at St. John’s
Next Sunday: All Ages Worship AND Blessing of the Animals
Join the community of St. John’s as we celebrate the Feast of St. Francis On October 1 with All Ages Worship and the Blessing of the Animals. Our guest priest, the Rev. Joe Campo, will be presiding while Rev. Michelle is on vacation. Rev. Joe will be sharing the story of St. Francis during worship and will then offer animal blessings in the St. Francis Memorial Garden after worship. Bring pets, pet mementos, stuffed animals… all will be blessed!
Expansion of Children’s Formation
- First Sundays: All Ages Worship
- Second Sundays: Godly Play
- Fourth Sundays: Children’s Activity designed to reinforce the month’s Godly Play lesson
Bible Study Announcement
We will have Bible Study this coming Sunday at 8:30 am (September 24).
Rev. Michelle is on vacation for 2 weeks and there is no Wednesday or Sunday Bible Study during this time. Bible Study will resume on Wednesday, October 11 over Zoom and Sunday, October 15 in person.
Block Party Pics!
Thank you to everyone who made this year’s Neighborhood Block Party a success!
Vestry Notes from August and September
- The Vestry celebrated a successful second (annual) Neighborhood Block Party with 10 organizations and more than a dozen sponsors. We’re thankful to the City of Kingston for providing a grant that helped us purchase new chairs and a new tent to help us with future events.
- Liz Moeller announced her resignation from the Vestry and everyone thanked Liz for nearly 6 years of service as a Vestryperson. She has been an amazing presence over her tenure. Please note that Nilsa Rodriguez-Jaca’s tenure will end this year and Claudette Ford will crown her Vestry career in her last year as Co-Warden. Please pray for the Nominating Committee and offer Sara Hutton, Leah Siuta, or Reverend Michelle any suggestions, even interest you might have.
- The Vestry thanked Leah Siuta for all her work in finding the right people to fix an ongoing mold issue in the Angel Food East Pantry. We also thanked Kajuan Douglas for showing up at a moment’s notice to help Leah get things covered up on the roof!
- The Vestry approved a motion to authorize Reverend Michelle and Keith Ferber to use the new St. John’s credit card. The card will help reduce costs for supplies and enhance our ability to respond quickly to parish needs.
- As we continue to navigate the Rector’s move to part time, the Vestry will meet in early November for a Mutual Ministry Review. The Reverend Allison Moore will be facilitating an assessment of the needs and demands experienced by the parish and by Reverend Michelle during this process.
- Paula Wisneski was elected to be the lay representative at Diocesan Convention on November 11.
Submitted by Kathy Burdick, Clerk of Vestry
“Out of Office”
Ana and I were married nearly 5 years ago and we are taking a very-delayed brief honeymoon this coming week. Although our official anniversary isn’t until October 17, we are both going to be so busy in the middle of October, we decided to go earlier.
I will be “out of office” beginning September 25, returning on October 12.
Why such a delay? The short answer is, “Life got in the way.” Of course it’s much more complicated and includes my brother’s death, my own gall bladder removal, the pandemic, both Ana and myself having extreme cases of covid, my mother’s illness, and moving her twice. It’s been no small list of rather important and rather challenging experiences. So, we are planning on a little pampering this coming week.
Please take good care of each other and know that you’re in very good, very experienced hands with Revs Joe and Joann Campo the next 2 weeks on Oct 1 and Oct 8 respectively.
And I’ll see you this Sunday!
In God’s love and mine,
Announcements for September 24
The Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost
St. John’s Office Hours
Wednesdays 10:00-12:00 noon
Thursdays 1:00-4:00 pm
Have an announcement for the bulletin?
Please send by Wednesday at noon to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEXT SUNDAY: Blessing of the Animals – Sunday, October 1
Join us for All Ages Worship on Sunday, October 1 and bring your pets (properly leashed, please), favorite stuffed animals, or mementos of pets. After worship, we will have the Blessing of the Animals in the St. Francis Garden.
Choir Recognition Sunday: Join us for a special Morning Prayer celebration on October 29 as we recognize the ministry of the choir together and honor their gifts and commitment.
St. John’s Outreach Project – People’s Place: When you go to the store, pick up a few extra non-perishable food items for People’s Place food pantry (tuna, soup, pasta, sauce, etc.). We are also taking donations of birthday napkins/plates, candles, and gift bags in various sizes. Bring them to church and place them in the appropriate baskets near the Font.
Page Turners Book Club meets the first Thursday of the month, at 2 pm, in the parish hall. New members are always welcome! Upcoming selections: Oct 5: The First Ladies, by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray (maybe a field trip to Val-Kill?), Nov. 2: The Trackers, by Charles Frazier, Dec. 7: Black Cake, by Charmaine Wilkerson. Speak to Lynn Dennison, Barbara Johnston, or Claudette Ford for more information.
Sukkot Shalom Community Dessert: Sukkot (plural word for “tent”) is a Jewish holiday commanded in the book of Exodus that celebrates the ingathering/harvest. Every year, our neighbors at Congregation Emanuel invite everyone to celebrate with them with singing, stories, and dessert. Friday, October 6 7-7:30pm at Congregation Emanuel, 243 Albany Ave.
St. John’s Upcoming Schedule
Check back, more events/dates being added!
Look for updates on children’s programming and occasional adult education forums. Soon we will announce dates for our Stewardship Campaign.
Sept 24 Choir rehearsal after worship
Sept 29/30 Holy Cross/Santa Cruz Book Sale Plus! Fr 4-8 / Sa 9-2
Oct 1 All Ages Worship, Blessing of the Animals after worship
Oct 5 Page Turners Book Club, 2:00 in Parish Hall
Oct 8 Godly Play for kids
Oct 15 Healing Sunday; Choir Rehearsal after worship
Oct 22 Sunday School Activity Day for kids
Oct 29 Morning Prayer: Choir Recognition Sunday
Nov 2 Page Turners Book Club, 2:00 in Parish Hall
Nov 5 Feast of All Saints’: All Ages Worship
Nov 12 Godly Play for kids
Nov 11 247th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of New York
Nov 19 Healing Sunday; Choir Rehearsal after worship
Nov 26 Sunday School Activity Day for kids
Dec 3 All Ages Worship: Season of Advent begins
Dec 7 Page Turners Book Club, 2:00 in Parish Hall
Dec 10 Godly Play for kids
Dec 17 Healing Sunday; Choir Rehearsal after worship
Dec 24 Advent IV worship at 10:00am
Christmas Eve Worship:
– Family Service 3:00 pm
– Choral Eucharist 8:00 pm
Dec 31 Morning Prayer