A vestry is a group of lay people elected by the parish who work with the Rector to oversee the temporal health of their congregation. A new group of vestry members is elected at each annual congregational meeting (the last Sunday in January), and all who are members in good standing of St. John’s are eligible to vote. Most Vestrypeople are elected to three-year terms.
Responsibilities of the Vestry
In cooperation with the Rector, the vestry is responsible for:
- Promoting the spiritual welfare of the parish
- Supporting the programs of the church
- Managing parish property and its financial resources
- Reporting to the bishop on the state of the parish
- Certifying candidates from the parish for ordination
St. John’s is blessed with an active, working vestry made up of nine dedicated parishioners (seven Vestrypeople and two Wardens) who give generously of their time and talent. Our vestry includes people with a variety of skills and backgrounds. Some are lifelong Episcopalians; others are relatively new to the Episcopal Church.
Wardens are Officers of the congregation and full members of the Vestry. As such, Wardens have both voice and vote in vestry meetings. In addition, they have increased responsibility for leadership, as the Rector often consults them for advice. Along with the Rector, the Wardens determine the vestry agenda and, should anything happen to the Rector, they are the head of the parish. They are elected for two-year terms.
The St. John’s Vestry meets at 6:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month. At every meeting, the members of the vestry engage in reflection on scripture, prayer, and discussions about various areas of parish life including buildings and grounds, ministry concerns, events, and finances. Some decisions require a vote and every item on the agenda is discussed in light of our Mission. Vestries are responsible for electing the Clerk and Treasurer every year, as well as electing a Rector when the parish is searching for a new one.
In addition to Vestrypeople, the Clergy, Treasurer, and Clerk all attend vestry meetings. All of them have a voice in the discussion but cannot vote. The Rector presides over the vestry meetings and is called on to cast a vote should there be a split in a decision.
Visitors are always welcome to attend any meeting unless the vestry needs to discuss a sensitive matter in an executive session. To communicate with the vestry, you may contact any member individually.
Current Vestry Members
- Wes Dangler – Serving as Warden until 2020
- Lynn Dennison – Serving as Warden until 2021
- Barbara Johnston, Sandy Reinhard – Serving as Vestrypeople until 2020
- Claudette Ford, Liz Moeller – Serving as Vestrypeople until 2021
- Jeanne Ruddy’s term (until 2022) is being carried out by Paula Wisneski until the Annual Meeting in January 2020