St. John’s Music Program

cropped-eton_choirbook-1

 
DSC_0482The music program of St. John’s Church exists to give praise and witness to Almighty God through the adornment of worship in the Anglican tradition as set forth in the Book of Common Prayer. The organist and choir work together to this end to support the congregation in singing the hymns of the church and to offer such incidental music as will beautify the service of the church.
 
There is a Mason & Hamlin grand piano in the nave of the church, and St. John’s organ is a two manual and pedal instrument of 18 speaking stops built in 1906 in the original St. John’s Church by the Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vt. as the company’s Opus 360. The organ was moved along with the church itself to Albany Avenue from the original location on Wall Street. In 1953, the organ was rebuilt, and the 1906 tubular-pneumatic key action was replaced with direct electric action.
 
In recent years, St. John’s has presented a concert series to the community, offering a wide variety of musical styles: organ music, jazz, classical, bluegrass, blues, folk music, and the West Point Cadet Choir have all been featured. In addition, St. John’s is host to Kingston’s annual “sing-in” of Handel’s Messiah, an opportunity for the community — joined by professional soloists — to gather and sing choruses from this important work. Music is an important element of the witness and outreach of St. John’s Church.